This site is a work in progress. If you don’t find what you need, visit VA.gov.

What's your idea for Vets.gov?

ID.me verification issues

Anyone else having problems verifying their identity through ID.me?

17 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have tried numerous times for a year or more to create a t's logon registered account, every time I get to ID, I've used both ssn and dod id # it won't let me enter either one, please help, Kirk Richardson

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many issues with the verification. First, I made the mistake of putting in my pre-paid cell phone number. Now it won't let me change it during the verification process. More importantly, if you have a freeze on your credit files, you are SOL no matter what. Even lifting the freeze does not work. IDme says to lift it for 30 days or more. No F'in way am I going to do that. MyUSPS had the same problem with their verification and they created an in person verification process. You just went to the post office with ID and they gave you a code. Simple.

The excuse they give of extra security so nobody can open a claim in your name is a joke. I already have a DS login and can already do pretty much anything already. So if you already have a DS login, you should automatically be verified.

They could also just simply mail you a code to the address on file or the one on the drivers license you uploaded. When I asked why a drivers license and passport were not good enough, they said, you could have lost them and someone might create an account with them. What a joke. Someone finds my drivers license AND passport and they are going to run out and create a vets.gov account?

With the recent Equifax breech, more veterans will be putting freezes on their credit files and won't be able to get verified. Whoever was in charge of implementing the verification really needs to be fired.

• Al commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't create an account because I don't have a DOD# and when I go to enter my last 4 digits of my SSN it tells me it can't find me with the info provided after it tells me I am verified.

• James Edward Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you have a DS logon, that should be very sufficient to sign onto Vets.org. This ID me **** is for the birds and totally useless. If you have a premium account, you should automatically be able to sign in on Vets.org. It's doing a huge disservice to Veterans.

• Shirley Hinch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I changed my phone carrier and got a new phone number. How do I update my phone number on Vets.gov so that I can access my account? I updated my phone number on the ebenefits however I guess it doesn't carryover

Thank you

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This service is very sketchy. It should be based on DOD Benefits # / SSN / DOD ID number. I can open a bank account anywhere in the country with all the information I provided. Access to my benefits should have nothing to do with my relationship with a private cell phone company. This service needs to be scrapped it just feels like a scam to prevent a large percentage of Veterans from getting benefits.

• Samantha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The requirement for me to incur another bill to get verified is ridiculous. If there is an alternate way to be verified I should not have to go searching for it. this is frustrating I am not changing my phone company after providing a drivers license, passport, home phone and social security number. I have been trying this for two hours now this is beyond frustrating.

• Chet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Goes fine until it asks to verify my mobile phone and then it fails. This phone is a normal AT&T mobile account - Things don't get much more normal than that! What is going on?

I do not have a US number for 2 step verification, as I live abroad. Therefore, I cannot use ID.me in it's current design.

I had a problem wirh my passoort though my drivers license worked.

WHAT STOPS the verification is no registered phone # because I live overseas. I have a premium access ebenefits acct, myhealththevet acct, and a DEERS acct.

The phone # verification should not apply when you already have a premiun access account.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been unable to verify for full access to the site because my only phone numbers are through Google Voice and Consumer Cellular, but you require a post-paid number to verify.

Please pass this on to whomever came up with this idea: Requiring a costly, post-paid phone contract to access veterans benefit information is counterproductive and needlessly restricts access to the service.

"Veterans are 50% more likely to become homeless than other Americans due to poverty, lack of support networks, and dismal living conditions in overcrowded or substandard housing. ... At risk is defined as being below the poverty level and paying more than 50% of household income on rent." http://www.greendoors.org/facts/veteran-homelessness.php

Chris, US Army veteran, 1998-2003

Here is the email chain with Vets.gov customer support:

James D. (ID.me Identity Support)
        Jul 14, 3:20 PM EDT
        Hi,
        Unfortunately, Consumer Cellular is a prepaid cell phone provider and cannot be accepted by Vets.gov. Without a non prepaid phone number in your name, it will not be possible to access Vets.gov. If you would like more information about alternative online resources for accessing your benefits, please contact the VA directly, they can be reached at XXXXX. I apologize for the inconvenience.
        Warm Regards,
        James
        Member Support Associate
        ID.me, Inc.
        www.ID.me | Twitter | Facebook

Veterans Get Secure Single-Sign On for Benefits: http://go.id.me/2iKDM6j
        President's National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace: http://go.id.me/2hZzUKr
        Building the Trust Graph: http://go.id.me/trust-graph

This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential and privileged information belonging to the sender, for a specific individual and purpose, and is legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and any disclosure, copying, forwarding or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, by you is strictly prohibited.

------------------------------------------
        ChrisXXXX
        Jul 14, 2:53 PM EDT
        Hi James,
        I have two phone numbers: my primary number is XXXXX (Google Voice), and my smartphone uses XXXXX (Consumer Cellular, not pre-paid). I have no home phone.
        I have tried every combination of these numbers.
        How can I verify my account?
        Thanks,
        Chris

James D. (ID.me Identity Support)
        Jul 14, 11:43 AM EDT
        Hi Chris,
        Thank you for contacting ID.me! I'm sorry that you're experiencing difficulties in getting verified with Vets.gov. For security reasons, Vets.gov has two primary requirements for the phone number used.
        1- Any phone used cannot be prepaid.
        2- The account the phone is under must be in your name.
        If your phone number does not meet these requirements, Vets.gov will not be able to grant you access without a different phone number. Unfortunately, a phone number that meets this criteria is required in order to access Vets.gov. If your number is non-prepaid and the bill is in your name, please let me know so we can troubleshoot further.
        Warm Regards,
        James

Member Support Associate
        ID.me, Inc.
        www.ID.me | Twitter | Facebook

Veterans Get Secure Single-Sign On for Benefits: http://go.id.me/2iKDM6j
        President's National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace: http://go.id.me/2hZzUKr
        Building the Trust Graph: http://go.id.me/trust-graph

This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential and privileged information belonging to the sender, for a specific individual and purpose, and is legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and any disclosure, copying, forwarding or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, by you is strictly prohibited.

ChrisXXXX
        Jul 14, 2:50 AM EDT
        I cannot verify for vets.gov. Every time I get to the end of the information that I have to upload, I get an error message: Error Code -95411246CEF7

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is truly ridiculous that they want you to remove a credit freeze for 30 days, and hope that works and that you are not a victim again during that period. I have been an identity theft victim and having a freeze is the only thing stopping more of it.

USPS had the same problem with their verification, but they set up an in person verification with a code you would then use. How hard can that be? Or just mail a code to the address on record.

Like others, I already have a DS Login for other sites. If that login info was in the wrong hands, they could still do all of the things on other sites that vets.gov claims they are trying to prevent by not letting you use a DS login for full access. That make absolutely no sense.

With more and more people being identify theft victims, using credit file info is probably the worse way to verify someone. And as more veterans put freezes on their files, more will not be able to verify.

I can't sign in wants almost same as registering then wont accept the code they send. Now i'm trying how to delete the account , can't sign cant delete

I'm having problems verifying through this janky service as well. Error Code: E2004-54E87C62AC0A. I've even done In-Person Verification to use the my healthevet.gov website. And I have an authenticated account with ebenefits.gov. I don't know why I can access other government sites, but not this one. Scrap ID.me. And I know what the problem is: my town is so small that our addresses are somewhat arbitrary, and also I don't have a driver's license, only a state-issued ID. I even tried to use my VA ID, still won't work. I guess I'll just continue to NOT use this site, or any other site that even MENTIONS verification through ID.me.

It is impossible to use verify if you have a foreign non smartphone Cell Phone Number. I.e. my number starts with +63 the website will not accept the +63 for verification.

I sat through the briefing on this site on 3/17/17 at VAMC Lake City. The briefer made the registration and sign in process sign in easy. Unfortunately, I can only go so far. I can't get past the "Signing in to Vets.Gov". I think the site has potential but this is frustrating.

have you frozen your credit bureau info, if so they just tell you if you want to verify you have to open it up temporarily, if not too bad, you cannot use this site the way you would like. They never even gave a thought to many of us that have frozen this info for very good reasons and opening it even for a short time could cause us harm

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base